August 17, 2011

Book 35 of 50

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov








Nabokov I give you cred' for writing Lolita, however, the novel itself was rather disappointing. Humbert lacks personality and complexity for a protagonist. Well written in prose, but not befitting of all the rage and reviews you get. Yes, nymphets and sexuality are a huge theme throughout the book; it hardly merits being a top 100 novel list. Lolita herself is intriguing and merits more analysis than does Humbert. She is definitely on hyper-sexualized pre-pubescent twelve year-old. The topic of sexuality, sex, and age discrepancies does warrant attention and review, but not to the extent that it has already received.  On to my next book.


Final verdict: love Nabokov's writing style and the diction he uses, however Humbert lacks some serious character development. I will give him some shelf space on my bookcase and I hope that my future students will read this and make their own judgment on the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment