December 10, 2011

Continuity

Last weekend my aunt passed away after a battle with diabetes and other ailments. She was my mother's big sister and we all loved her dearly. I can't bear to think about how different things will be when I go back on my breaks. The house will be minus one person. No more hand made tortillas. No more her yelling at us to leave her donkey alone. No more anything. Mami says its all just a part of life and how the saying goes in Spanish: "La vida es prestada." Roughly translates to 'life is borrowed.' I had a tough time last weekend dealing with her death. Thankfully I have a good friend who has also lost a few loved ones and was able to help me cope with my grief. The one thing I did come away with everything is continuity. Continuity to keep living my life, but not to forget. To merely continue on, but always keep her in my thoughts, remember her for who she was. So this is a post dedicated/remembering her. These are some of the last pictures I took of her when I was last in Mexico for the holidays in 2008. I never would have thought this would be the last time I would get to hug her and receive her affection. Another lesson this has taught me is to cherish those that I love and let them know how much I love them and care for them.

From left to right: Tio Miguel, Tia Lola, Mami, & cousins

Tia Lola & Mami

Tia Lola & I
One of my favorite family pictures. My grandparents with my Tia Lola, Tio Miguel & Mami

RIP Dolres Gomez Virgen (Yes, that's right one of our family surnames means 'Virgin' pretty cool huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment