February 4, 2012

The girl in the corner

You know that girl who sits in the corner at parties with her book. She's the only completely oblivious to the party around her. All she knows is what she ingests and inhales from her book. She's having a party for one plus her book.

However, this story has an alternate ending. She doesn't end up in the corner with her book. Although she does have the book in her purse that calls her name. She feels like its just like in Harry Potter when he can hear the snake calling him, taunting him, tempting him.

For once she resisted her ultimate temptation. The one thing that she loves to get lost in the most. Her main escape from her emotions, from her life, from her world, from everything. Instead she tightly clutched her purse knowing well it could wait for a while longer until she got home.

Yes for once I didn't ostracize myself at the party tonight. Instead I mingled with my parents friends from back in the end (read: way back in the day, before I was even conceived, hello 70s!). Many thought I was 17 years old, which I've stopped taking as an insult and consider it a blessing. I'll be 25 this year and many still think I look 17. I'm proud of myself. I didn't cave in. I didn't succumb to my usual tendencies at awkward family parties. I even met a fellow Latina/Chicana who is currently working on her 2nd Master's degree!

Lesson of the night: learning to put my walls down means meeting new people and exposing myself to another world out there beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment